At Rapid Ascent we’re all about encouraging people to get into adventure racing and keep fit whilst enjoying the great outdoors. We’ve compiled a list of training tips, equipment advice, course recommendations and other information below.
Connect with other participants of the via the WA Adventure page on Facebook. The page will play host to all adventure-style events run by Rapid Ascent which are based in Western Australia, such as the Eagle Bay Epic and XTERRA Dunsborough.
The group is very active with chat and information updates and we strongly encourage anyone who is interested in the event to join.
All are welcome to post stories, images and fanfare – it’s a place to connect!
Tips from the experts
Jess Reynolds is a super-active (and super-fit) local who lives in Dunsborough and trains on the course pretty much every day. She’s got plenty of great tips and insights on the course that she’s shared with us all. CLICK HERE to read Jess’s tips for the course.
Jacqui Bell is a Brooks sponsored ultra trail runner and the Youngest Person in the world to run an ultra marathon on all 7 continents. She has prepared some great trail running training and racing tips to help you nail it on race day. CLICK HERE to read her 10 favorite points.
Wild Ones Adventure trail runs
Designed with inclusivity in mind, Wild Ones Adventure is a community of outdoor-adventure seekers that love to support and encourage each other. Whether you’re a newbie to the sport, or a trail-running junkie, Wild Ones cater for all levels of fitness. These experiences are the perfect opportunity to train up for major events held in WA, giving you a chance to explore the most epic trails you never knew about, and meet other people in a welcoming and friendly environment. Covering some of the most beautiful trails and beaches around Perth, you’ll get a chance to build your confidence and endurance on all kinds of terrain. You can even join them on niche weekenders and social events, where you can work your way up to some of the most popular trail and adventure races across WA. Check out their website, Instagram or Facebook Page for more details.
Are you ready to get off-road and join the revolution of adventure racing? The Eagle Bay Epic Adventure Race is the ultimate challenge for you and is achievable by competitors with a range of fitness and ability levels.
As with all things in life, the bigger the challenge… the bigger the reward. Most first time adventure racers recall their first finish as one of the most incredible moments of their life. It’s amazing what your mind and body can achieve. So step up, sign up for a challenge and re-write your own limits.
You’ll be familiar with the formats and races on offer, and the Eagle Bay region has such a diverse and picturesque course to offer, you won’t want to miss out! Do it solo or in a relay team doing 1 leg each.
- Need equipment? We can help – see our Equipment page HERE
- Need training advice or people to train with? We can help – see below…
- Not sure where to start? We can help – give us a call 03 5261 5511
- Want to join a team? We can help – give us a call 03 5261 5511
Well thought out race course, beautiful scenery, enthusiastic officials and a great venue. Perfect weekend out!Katherine, 2020 race competitor
Train with the local clubs and groups
Dunsborough Running Club
Train up for the big weekend with the Dunsborough Running CLub
- Tuesday 5.30pm
- Friday 5pm
- Sunday 8am.
In addition, they’ll be doing some group rides and paddle sessions too. Find out more on the Dunsborough Running Club Facebook page.
- Runs regular skills sessions
- Call 9293 2115 or visit Kalamunda Cycles – 15 Canning Road, Kalamunda
Dirt Skills Margaret River
- Running Dirt Skills Trail School – catering for anyone that wants to have more fun
- Saturdays from 1pm – 3pm
- Visit their website www.dirtskillsmargaretriver.com
Indian Ocean Paddlers
- Winter race series conducted at Leighton Beach over the winter months.
- They also have a number of training sessions which are open to paddlers to attend.
- Website: www.iop.asn.au
Perth Mountain Bike Club
- Offers a complete list of off-road mountain bike events to get you some MTB race practise
- Visit their website www.perthmtb.asn.au
West Australian Mountain Bike Association
- Summary of MTB events and activities in WA
- Visit their website www.wamba.org.au
If you are looking for paddling coaching check out some of the following as detailed below:
- Jesse Philips- phone 0422 678 055, email jessephillips.com.au or [email protected]
- Epic Adventure with Guy Power – phone 0407 474 659, email [email protected]
- Precision Paddling with Ty Stedman – phone 0400 723 359, email [email protected] or visit www.precisionpaddling.com.au
- My Ocean with Ash Nesbit – email [email protected]
- Sports Paddle SA with Steve Dalton – phone 0404 501 738, email [email protected]
- Realise Surf Training with Brenton Rose – phone 0418 229 033, email [email protected]
- Paddle WA
Train at the Dunsborough Country Club
The Dunsborough Country Club has a superb network of trails that is open and accessible at all times of the year and is obviously ideal for training on prior to race day.
It is also the home of the Dunsborough Cycle Club.
The Dunsborough MTB Skills Development Park is mostly single track, and includes jumps, berms, log rides, and other technical trail features using natural obstacles (e.g. rocks and logs) and engineered features such as ramps, bridges, log rides, and dirt jumps. There are A and B lines around more difficult obstacles, look out for the signs. Track surfaces include gravel areas, sandy areas, and clay. Don’t forget to appreciate the terrific views over the bay as you ride.
Got A Group Session We Can Promote?
We are more than happy to promote other groups’ training sessions on the course – please email the details to [email protected]