EVENT PROGRAM: Here is the official Event Program for the 2023 Eagle Bay Epic. This fully explains the event with confirmed schedule, course details, transition areas and more. All event attendees are strongly encouraged to read it before the event. READ IT HERE.
The Eagle Bay Epic is the ultimate off-road race through a pristine playground… mountain bike, ocean swim, kayak and trail run through the beautiful Meelup Regional Park and Geographe Bay for an adventure you’ll never forget.
NEW FORMAT FOR 2023
The Eagle Bay Epic has been recharged for 2023 with just one, medium length adventure race conducted on Saturday:
- The course length is achievable for previous short course competitors whilst still providing the rewarding challenge long course competitors are used to.
- This will majorly add to the race atmosphere because everyone is in action on the one day – the TA’s will be pumping!
- Racing on Saturday means you can celebrate on Saturday night and enjoy the area on Sunday!
- We have changed the leg order to manage any potential congestion and make it easier for team mates to get to the TAs
- Previous long course competitors are encouraged to do 2 or more legs (or go solo!) in order to get your ‘long course adventure thrills!’
OPEN TO SOLOS AND RELAY TEAMS: The race is still open to solos doing the whole adventure race, and relay teams doing 1 or more legs each. So sign up for an epic adventure in this beautiful part of the world!
Four off-road disciplines conducted as a non-stop race, starting and finishing at the Eagle Bay Brewing:
- 9km Trail Run – along the iconic Meelup Coastal Trail and surrounds
- 1.5km Ocean Swim (+300m run) – the clear, protected waters of Dunn Bay in Dunsborough
- 7.5km Ocean Kayak – along the sheltered coastline to Castle Rock and return)
- 18km Mountain Bike – through the popular Dunsborough trail network
- 200m Team Run to the finish line – lets call this ‘the glory run to the pub!’
CAPRA Mapping App
Scan the QR Code to download the terrific CAPRA mapping app (or click here) and receive the course map on your phone. (Follow the prompts to create an account and you’ll find the maps in the app’s ‘Library’)
>> OR Click Here to see the map in Plotaroute. <<
A more detailed description of each leg of the course and transition areas is included in the Event Program available HERE.
Here is a brief outline:
9km Coastal Run
The race kicks off with a mass start on the run leg – then its across the paddocks and down the dirt roads to join the coast at Meelup. Turn left and follow one of WA’s most scenic trails through the Meelup Regional Park all the way through to the transition area at Dunsborough.
1.5km Ocean Swim
Crystal-clear water, smooth surfaces and spectator friendly… this horse-shoe shaped swim is so picturesque you will want to do it again tomorrow.
7.5km Ocean Kayak
Paddlers launch from the beach and complete a spectacular out and back ocean paddle down the coast, past hidden beaches and rounded rocky headlands nearly to Meelup and back again. With protected bays and crystal clear water this is a magical paddle.
18km Mountain Bike
Leaving the Dunsborough TA its up to the MTBers to bring it home to the finish. Riders tackle a challenging track through Country Club and Brown Street single track that includes plenty of climbs, descents, rock roll overs, berms and more then there are a few kilometres of dirt roads that lead you into the Eagle Bay Brewery.
200m Team Run
There’s a final 200m run across the paddock with your team mates (or solo) to the euphoric finish line directly in front of the Eagle Bay Brewery… it’ll be the best finish line ever!
This was one of the best races I’ve competed in – such a challenge and an insane amount of fun. The whole event had a great vibe and I’ve definitely got my sights on the long course next year!Zoe – short course competitor
This consolidated course has just one (mega) transition area on Vincent Street in Dunsborough. Teams and support crews can watch the race unfold (and wait for their turn!) with music, food and an awesome atmosphere for all.
- The course for the MTB legs will be marked with blue surveyor’s tape and blue arrows. Red and white barrier tape will be used to block off any tracks you should not take.
- The course for the Run legs will be marked with pink surveyor’s tape and red arrows. Red and white barrier tape will be used to block off any tracks you should not take.
- You can still get lost if you don’t pay attention. Keep your eye out for trail markers at all times.
Age categories are determined by your age on race day.
- Junior U/15 Male / Female
- Junior U/18 Male/Female
- Prime (18 – 39yrs) Male / Female
- Veteran (40 – 49yrs) Male / Female
- Vintage (50+) Male/Female
- Masters (60+) Male/Female
Teams Of 2, 3 Or 4
- Female Team
- Male Team
- Mixed Team
- Female Junior Team (All under 15 years)
- Male Junior Team (All under 15 years)
- Mixed Junior Team (All under 15 years)
- Female Junior Team (All under 18 years)
- Male Junior Team (All under 18 years)
- Mixed Junior Team (All under 18 years)